Friday 14 August 2009

A day for Comic Relief to Eddie Izzard on his 30 miles


Seven weeks, 1,100 miles, blood, sweat, tears and a toenail teetering on the brink.
Welcome to Eddie Izzard's long-distance run around the UK... as the cross-dressing comedian clocks up a staggering 30 miles a day in aid of Sport Relief.
He is already on his seventh pair of trainers after just two weeks but is in no mood to throw in the towel.
"It would be discomposing to not do it now," he says.
"I'm a transvestite with a course, but I'm a apointed and I'll wonk this out. I have to keep on staggering forward. Running, walking, crawling, whatever."
When I join him in the glorious Welsh sun was shineing for the first few miles of his 14th marathon in 16 days, he's struggling. Before setting off, physio Jo Denby had strapped up his blistered feet. His little toe nail is clinging on for dear life and Eddie groaned in agony while Jo gave his bushed legs a pummelling.
"This lower calf muscle is talking to me," the 47-yearold grimaces, just minutes into the run. "The first week was a shock. My feet were coming apart and the rain kicked in for three days continuously. But the first 10 miles are almost joyous now. 'Ha! There's nothing to this! I could run for a million miles!' But the second 10 get rough and the last lot are bery."

No comments:

Post a Comment